Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Casket

It happens quite often that we see both hard work and knowledge where one have only to guess so that to take up some challenge. Once upon a time a casket was brought to somebody’s place from the master craftsman. The casket was distinguished by the fineness of its furnish. It was simply impossible not to be lost in admiration for the casket. Here a person versed in Mechanics came into the room. Having taken a glance at the casket he said:
«Sure enough, the casket has a secret; and it’s without the lock; nevertheless I dare to open it, yes, I’m quite sure of it; don’t laugh on the sly! I’ll find the secret and open the casket, after all, I’m of some account in Mechanics.» He set to at once and turned the casket all the ways, racking his brains over it; now he pressed some stud, then another, after that a handle. Seeing his endeavors somebody shook his head; those whispering, and those laughing among themselves. There was nothing to be heard but:
«Not here, not so, not there!»
The mechanic exerted himself even more. Sweating, sweating; yet at last tired, he let the casket alone but how to open it never guessed: whereas the casket easily opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment